FULL TIME: Eintracht Frankfurt 1 – 5 Bayer Leverkusen

It didn’t happen again: Eintracht Frankfurt didn’t end the unbelievable series of champions Bayer Leverkusen. The “Werkself” won 5:1 (2:1) on Sunday evening on Main.

Coach Xabi Alonso’s team continued its impressive streak and has now been unbeaten for 48 games in a row. Granit A goal from the omnipresent and strong Hugo Ekitiké (32nd) was ultimately not enough for Eintracht.

The Hessians therefore missed the targeted early qualification for the Europa League. They remain sixth with 45 points two games before the end of the season, ahead of seventh-placed SC Freiburg (41 points). Bayer 04 can finalize their participation in the final of the same Europa League on Thursday (May 9th) in the semi-final second leg against AS Roma (9 p.m., here in the live ticker).

Midfield strategist Xhaka gave Leverkusen an early lead with a long-range shot. The Frenchman Ekitiké equalized with a header following an assist from Fares Chaibi, before the Czech Schick headed the “Werkself” back into the lead.

After the break, Niels Nkounkou allowed Nathan Tella to pull on his jersey unnecessarily in his own penalty area. World champion Palacios converted the undisputed penalty from the spot just as confidently as Boniface later, after Ansgar Knauff – also hastily – caught Frimpong clearly by the foot in the penalty area. The Dutchman Frimpong had previously increased the score to 4:1.

The 23-year-old right winger only had to push in after Adam Hlozek’s assist – it was the Czech striker’s third assist. Frankfurt played a very active and courageous role for a long time. Above all, the technically adept Ekitiké and the hard-working junior Dina Ebimbe repeatedly set offensive accents.

However, Eintracht proved to be not efficient enough in front of goal and too vulnerable at the back. That’s how it became clear at the end. In the previous game, VfL Bochum had won a real relegation thriller against Union Berlin 4:3 (3:0). After an almost dramatic final phase. Because: Maximilian Wittek (16th minute/31st) had already given the West Germans a clear lead at halftime with a brace and Keven Schlotterbeck (37th).

Scroll to top